Tuesday, December 4, 2012

THANKSGIVING, 2012

Can't believe that I got sick AGAIN while visiting one of my sons on a holiday.  I had pain under my shoulder blade on the Monday morning before Thanksgiving so went to the Emergency Room at about 3:30 a.m.  The ER doctor x-rayed me and did blood tests and couldn't find any problems so his decision was that I had pleurisy.  I doubted the correctness of that diagnosis, but took the prescriptions, had them filled and took them as directed.  He had told me to check with my primary care doctor - that would have been Dr. McHarney-Brown -- but she had been asked to leave Kymera which she did at the end of October.  I saw a doctor who was filling in for her who rushed into the room and announced that I had arthritis and to just have someone rub arthritis cream on my back and I'd be okay.  She never bothered to look at my back or even touch me!  I doubted this diagnosis even more as I'd had arthritis pain and knew it was nothing like this. 

It was actually a relief when I saw the evidence of shingles on my chest on Thanksgiving evening.  John and Vicky took me to the ER which was just a couple of blocks from John's house.  That doctor immediately recognized that it was clear evidence of shingles -- even though I'd had a shingles shot a few years prior to this.  I was able to get the prescriptions filled at an all-night CVS and began taking them immediately - except for the pain medication as I continued to take the Hydrocodone that had been prescribed by the doctor in Carlsbad.   When we returned to Carlsbad, I got an appointment with the doctor I'd seen at the Kymera facility.  She said the medicine was what I should be taking and did give me another prescription for the Neurontin as she said I should continue taking it.  She also told me to "find another doctor" as Kymera had not been able to find a doctor to take Dr. McHarney-Brown's place.  Vanessa McGee, a Physician's Assistant at Dr. Perkowski's office had been highly recommended to me, so I had my medical records transferred to her.  I saw her on Monday, December 2, and she told me to continue on the same meds - but also told me to take the Acyclovir  for another 10 days and gave me a prescription for that and, also, a steroid - Prednisone for 9 days.
Along with these medications and those that I had been taking, I am taking at least one pill almost every hour for a total of more than 20 pills a day!  The pain has stopped everywhere except in my breast.  It was so painful last night that I had to take a pain pill at 9:30 p.m. and then again at 3:30 a.m.  I've taken just one Advil today as the pain is not bad during the daytime -- just gets bad about the time the sun goes down.  Strange!!!  Just hope all this medication works and that it is the end of the "Holiday Syndrome" for me.

No comments: