Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Big 80

This is the last day that I'll be 79
years old; tomorrow is my 80th birthday!  I approach it with a little sadness - I can tell that a lot of younger people just don't want to be around us "old people."  I'm guilty of that too -- just today I was impatient with a lady in her 90's who wanted to monopolize the conversation in our group.  I realize now that she is probably just lonely and, after spending most of her time alone, wanted to talk and share the events in her life.  She told of her son's illness, her money problems, tsk'd about the younger generation's failings, etc.  Hope I can remember to "keep my mouth shut" when I get that age (when I see people's eyes glazing over).
        This is my 80th "birthday picture."  Told you that there would be more wrinkles, gray hair, etc. (see former post on my 75th birthday).    I've already received lots of great birthday gifts - Bob gave me a Kindle Fire and John, Mary, Jeff, Scott & Vicky gave me everything I needed to redo my bathroom from animal prints to birds.  It turned out to be beautiful with Canton Blue bath and hand towels, washcloths, bath mat, bath rug, and a beautiful bird painting.  Cheers me up just to step in there.  Everything matches the cheerful 'teal' color. 
       Our sorority is having our Christmas Dinner tomorrow night, so that will be my birthday celebration too.  Bob invited me to go to the Stevens today for lunch but I chose to stay home and eat left-over meatloaf, potatoes and black-eyed peas.  It was delicious!  I then spent all afternoon making a carrot cake and two sugar-free pies for the sorority dinner.  I'd also made Macademia Nut cookies and brownies to take to Sunday School this morning so felt like I'd lived in the kitchen this weekend.
       I'm looking forward to Christmas music programs at our next two Tuesday Bible Studies and then our church's Christmas Cantata will be this weekend.  Last year's cantata was great; I could have attended all three.
         It is already getting very cold here and I'm already wishing for summer.  Thought I'd never say that after having such a miserable summer; especially when our heat pump went out and we spent 3 days with no air conditioning in 110 degree heat.
         Wonder if I'll still be around in 5 more years to post my "85th" ?

No comments: